At 17:16:36 hrs on July 4, 2011 the Raytown Fire Protection District responded to a reported house fire in the area of 83rd and Woodson Drive. Upon arrival our crews found the wood roof on the structure to be on fire, and nine minutes later reported the fire out. After investigation it was found that two of the occupants of the structure were in possession of bottle rockets and had been shooting them illegally for most of the day. Our investigator found several of the sticks attached to bottle rockets embedded between the shake roofing shingles around the area of the roof which had been on fire. Bottle rockets, stick missiles, and roman candles are illegal in Raytown and cannot be purchased at any of the Raytown fireworks tents. These bottle rockets in question had been purchased by from a stand outside of Raytown. Two of the occupants were cited by Raytown Police and are awaiting their court date. This incident ended without injury, and the estimated dollar loss is $15,000.00.
This was our only fireworks related call for July 4th, 2011.