raytownonline_circle

Raytown current weather conditions


Click for Forecast

Clark’s Appliances donated to REAP



Click on +1 button to tell Google you like RaytownOnline

Subscribe to RaytownOnline.com via Email

Enter your email address to receive emails of the latest local news articles on RaytownOnline.com.


Kendra donated to Shepherd’s Center

Ads for Charity

Raytown dog saves family from fire

The family dog alerted his family to a fire just after 2:00 am Sunday morning in the 6700 block of Ralston. The family was able to escape to the roof and then with the help of a neighbor’s ladder made it to safety. unfortunately the family dog was not able to escape the blaze.  The cause of the fire is suspected to be a fireplace in the living room.


From the Raytown Fire District

Family Dog a Hero

 
Raytown Fire Protection District
Press Release
Family Dog a Hero During Early Morning Raytown Residence Fire
 
PIO Assigned: Matt Mace, Interim Fire Chief
Follow up Info: Matt Mace 816-875-9746
Date: 1/26/14
Location: 6701 Ralston
Time of the call: 02:16
First Unit on the scene: Raytown Pumper 51
Number of Units: 7
Number of Firefighters: 32
Property Loss/Damage: $165,000
Contents Loss: Unknown
  
Additional information:
A mother and her 13 year old daughter escaped injury at 2:16 this morning after the family dog awakened them to smoke and fire in their house.  The residents escaped out a second floor window due to the heavy smoke and fire blocking the stairway. A neighbor awoken by their yells for help assisted them off the roof with a ladder before fire units arrived.
Upon arrival crews reported heavy fire and smoke showing and all occupants were out of the structure.  The high winds complicated the extinguishment of the fire and at one point forced firefighters to withdrawal from the house and use aerial apparatus to knock down the fire from the exterior. It is believed that the fire originated around the area of the living room fireplace and spread  throughout to the interior.  The family did have working smoke alarms.
 
The family dog which alerted them was not able to escape and perished in the fire. 
 
“The family was extremely lucky. First, their dog woke them, then the neighbor responding so quickly to rescue them from the roof.” Interim Fire Chief Matt Mace
 
  The American Red Cross assisted the family with housing, food, and counseling information. 
ralston fire

For more on this click HERE to read a Kansas City Star article on the fire.
 

 

Leave a Reply