Raytown current weather conditions

Click for Forecast

Weather Forecast

The location could not be found.

Clark’s Appliances donated to REAP

Click on +1 button to tell Google you like RaytownOnline

Subscribe to RaytownOnline.com via Email

Enter your email address to receive emails of the latest local news articles on RaytownOnline.com.

Kendra donated to Shepherd’s Center

Ads for Charity

Suspected Explosive Device Closes Raytown Neighborhood

Raytown firefighters and police from Raytown and Kansas City have cordoned off part of a neighborhood in the 9000 block of E. 74th St. while they investigate what they believe may be a home-made explosive device in a residence there. Police were called to the residence last night to investigate a domestic dispute. One of the residents was arrested. Then a little before 10:00 this morning, Raytown Police were summoned back to the house by another resident who had discovered the suspicious device. Soon after the first officers arrived to investigate the discovery, they summoned the Bomb and Arson Unit from the Kansas City Police Department and cordoned off the house. Police and Fire officials evacuated some residents and went door to door notifying others to shelter in their homes. As of 12:30 this afternoon, bomb technicians were still examining the device to determine the safest way to handle it.

1:48 PM update

Raytown Police took down their barricades and declared the emergency in the 9000 block of 74th Street over at about 1:15 p.m. this afternoon (12/22/2011). Police had been summoned to a home in the neighborhood when a home-made explosive was discovered in a house by some of the tenants. Police and fire officials closed off the street and began evacuating some residents between 9:45 and 10:00 this morning after they saw the device. Bomb technicians from the Kansas City Police Department were called to the scene and they deactivated the device. Raytown police say that there was harmful explosive material involved. Residents of the house were being interviewed by Raytown Police and one man has been taken into custody, but no charges have been filed at the time of this report.

Leave a Reply